Monday, January 28, 2008

Monstrosity (Scene Two)

by Lucy Thurber

This is the second scene from Monstrosity and the second of three postings from the play. Scene One can be found below (Jan 25th post) and scene three will be posted tomorrow.


Scene Two

Lights up on Simon and Charlie, two teenage boys in a dorm room. The room has two sets of bunk beds. A huge sign hangs center stage. At the top is written the Code of Three. 1-I am my brother’s Keeper, 2-My best is your best, 3-Our power belongs to you. Charlie sits and Simon stands. They are both in uniform. Simon is tucking in his shirt and combing his hair.

Charlie

Simon, hey, hey Simon-

Simon

It’s almost time for dinner. We can’t be late for dinner. Get dressed will you.

Charlie

Simon, hey, hey, Simon-

Simon

I don’t see you getting dressed-

Charlie

But Simon-

Simon

What for God sakes?

Charlie

I can’t get my boot off.

Simon

Fucken imbecile.

Charlie

Fuck you. I hurt my fucken ankle today. You know that and now I can’t get my boot off.

Simon

Well, what do you want me to do about it?

Charlie

I want you to help me. My ankle is swollen.

Simon

(Going to help him.) It’ll hurt.

Charlie

It hurts more with it on.

Simon

You’re gonna just have to put it back on again, for dinner.

Charlie

I just want to take it off for a minute. Just a minute and I’ll move it around.

Simon

It will swell up more without the boot and then when you put it back on-

Charlie

Just help me pull the fucken thing off will you, please?

Simon

(Kneeling down in front of him and putting his hands on the boots.) O.K. count to ten.

Charlie

O.K. 1,2,3

(Simon yanks the boot off of Charlie’s foot. Charlie screams in pain.)

Charlie

Motherfucker, motherfucker-

Simon

I told you it was going to hurt-

Charlie

You fucker, you said count to ten-

Simon

I was helping. It hurts less when you don’t expect it.

Charlie

That’s bullshit. It’s your fault I hurt my ankle anyway.

Simon

It is not!

Charlie

It is so! You weren’t watching your position-

Simon

I was busy with my position. That guy was just better than you-

Charlie

Was not, I kicked his fucken ass. Didn’t I? Didn’t I?!

Simon

Yeah, yeah you did.

Charlie

I fucken kicked his ass.

Simon

Calm down Charlie.

Charlie

I fucken, I fucken-

Simon

I know, I know, Jesus, I was just joking Christ.

(Thomas enters followed by Tierney and Patrick. Tierney is 17 and Patrick is 15. They are not dressed in uniforms. Simon and Charlie jump to attention when Thomas enters.)

Charlie&Simon

I am my brother’s keeper. My best is your best. Our power belongs to you.

Thomas

(To Simon and Charlie.) It certainly does. (To Tierney and Patrick.) This is where you’ll sleep.

Tierney

Thank you.

Thomas

There’s a bathroom for the hall which you’ll use.

Tierney

O.K.

Thomas

You’ll learn your schedule soon enough. It’s pretty tight and lateness results in loss of privileges.

Tierney

Sure…

Thomas

After dinner, you’ll be given your clothing, etc. You’ll clean up and report for your meeting with Mr. Roth.

Tierney

O.K. but…

Thomas

In uniform. I wouldn’t show up dressed like you are now. It’s not considered respectful and respect is very important to us here.

Tierney

Sure-

Thomas

(To Simon and Charlie) Take them to eat now. I’ll be by to bring them to Mr. Roth at exactly 7:30. It’s up to the two of you to see that they’re ready. If they’re not I’ll take it out on the whole hall and I’ll be sure to let them know it was you two that fucked it up.

Simon&Charlie

Yes Sir.

Thomas

And I’d have this room cleaned up by tomorrow morning. It looks like you haven’t changed the sheets since I’ve been gone.

Simon&Charlie

Yes Sir. Good to have you back Sir.

Thomas

Bullshit. You’re no more happy to see me than I am to see you. I don’t like lazy people and lazy people don’t like to be reminded that they’re lazy. (He exits.)

(A beat.)

Patrick

(To Tierney) Jesus fucken Christ Tierney.

Tierney

Don’t Patrick.

Simon

We’re gonna be late for dinner.

Tierney

We’re ready when you are.

Simon

(He motions towards the bunk bed Charlie’s sitting on.) This is ours.

Tierney

O.K.

Simon

Don’t touch our stuff.

Tierney

Not a problem.

Simon

You’re not the first two idiots they’ve tried to hook us up with-

Tierney

O.K.-

Simon

I wasn’t done speaking was I?

Tierney

I was just getting tired of hearing you talk.

Simon

Look, four makes a team. Me and Charlie we don’t want to be a team-

Tierney

I have no idea what you’re talking about and I don’t-

Simon

You’ll know soon enough and just remember what I told you.

Charlie

Yeah, and just cause we’re taking you doesn’t mean you can sit with us at dinner, don’t get any ideas.

Simon

Charlie would you just put your fucken boot back on so we can leave. (He crosses to him) Jesus would you look at this thing. I told you not to take your boot off.

Charlie

(Struggling to put his boot back on.) Just settle down will ya?

Simon

Thomas is going to stomp all over our asses. Would you look at the time? (He shoves his watch into Charlie’s face.)

Charlie

(Knocking Simon’s hand away and struggling with boot.) I’m trying, you can see that.

Simon

Fuck Charlie!

(Patrick crosses to Charlie and takes his boot away from him.)

Charlie

Hey!

Patrick

(Taking the lace out of the boot.) I don’t want to be late either. (He puts the boot back on Charlie without the lace.) Does that feel O.K.?

Charlie

Yeah…

Patrick

O.K. stand up for a second.

(Charlie does. Patrick kneels in front of him and puts the lace back in his boot without tightening it.)

Patrick

O.K.?

Charlie

Yeah…

Patrick

So let’s not be late. I’m ready.

End Of Scene

No comments: